Wednesday 2 May 2012

Lotao Brief

I had an opportunity to work on the brief together with one German designer- Kersten von Sohlern.
The brief was:
This summer Lotao will start with a new salt serie. We are planning to start with two types of “Flor de Sal”: one pure version, and one version with “Tiger Pepper”.  The salt is made in Indonesia, at Bali island.

Target group: High End Consumer

Working title:

  •  Bali Breeze. Fleur de Sal aus Indonesien
  •   Tiger Breeze. Fleur de Sal mit indischem Tiger-PfefferThe 

Packing we are looking for:

150g Tin/Box
Black/White Color, maybe Blue for the Pure Version, and Red(?) for the Pepper Version.

Maybe this Salt-Tins/Packages should fit to the Kiss Series – more than to the Lotao Series.

This is example of the packaging for Kiss Series. The new Salt series should be similar to this one. And also I was given the measurements of the label, so I couldn't play with the structure design much. It was more about    the graphic.










Criteria:
1. The packaging has to be connected with Kiss series.
2. Pure version of the salt-blue pepper version-red
3. It has to be for 150g of salt
4. Thera are two names:
*Bali Breeze. Fleur de Sal aus Indonesien
*Tiger Breeze. Fleur de Sal mit indischem Tiger-Pfeffer
5. It has to be for High End Consumer.
6. The packaging has to show the value and quality of the product.

I created some draft sketches of the packaging: 
These tins I made with the exact measurements I was given. I came up with wave idea as it associate with the sea and breeze. I had to make it simple. It has to be connected with the Kiss series so I was trying to do similar layout. As i had given alrady the measurements by the company I couldn't play with the structure of the package. So I stared to make the graphic design for it. 
I was trying to reach the Bali atmosphere on the package so I was using images of traditional methods for collecting the salt from the sea.
But the images were a bit too complicated so I stayed with the wave and salt. 
i think they doesn’t look bad. I replaced the real wave picture with some kind of iconic wave drawing. It looks more interesting I think and has even more power than the real photo. 
As the real Bali salt has a shape of piramid cristals I used the photograph of it. And it actually looks more interesting than the normal salt. However there wuld be a problem I think because most peaople will not know what is this. 
For the pepper version I made the wave shape in red and for the salt I added some pepper.
In the last I removed the black stripe and in my opinion doesn’t look bad. The whole image for me looks like sea food or something which is connected with sea and that’s the point for this project.

The brief doesn't say anything about structure but I wanted to make it long to look more classy. The volume of the package is the same as the first ones I just made the a bit taller and thinner. I think with the shape like this they would stand out form the shop shelfs.





No comments:

Post a Comment